Sr. LAN Manager
Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN
2012 – Present
- Provide primary technology support to 135 faculty/staff in the division of Hematology/Oncology and backup support to approximately 300 faculty/staff in the divisions of Nephrology & Infectious Disease.
- Administer divisional technology including: Hyper-V server, file servers, PaperCut print management server, Kaseya systems management server, Symantec Backup Exec server, LaserGene server, Active Directory OU’s/GPO’s,
SharePoint site, etc.
- Serve as the team lead for two full time technical professionals housed within the divisions of Nephrology & Infectious Disease.
- Purchase IT related equipment, software and supplies for the division of Hematology/Oncology.
- Prepare and maintain an annual divisional technology budget of approximately $50,000.
- Migrated outdated divisional Windows file server to enterprise hosted EMC Isilon storage.
- Migrated divisional WDS, print, WSUS and LaserGene servers from aging physical equipment to Hyper-V virtual machines running on Server 2012 R2.
- Completed the migration of division PC’s from Windows XP to Windows 7 with BitLocker encryption.
- Implemented a 48TB NAS and reconfigured Backup Exec jobs to provide additional data redundancy to pre-existing tape only server backups.
- Created OS image build/deployment procedures using a combination of virtual reference machines & WDS.
- Performed major updates of the Kaseya systems management server, bringing it from version 6.1 to version 6.5.
It Administrator ii
University of Tennessee Chattanooga, Chattanooga, TN
2011 – 2012
- Administered the Residential Management System servers which handled the housing applications, room / meal plan assignments, and maintenance requests for 3000+ campus housing residents.
- Ensured the operation of critical data interfaces (i.e. housing A/R transactions, residence hall access permissions, and student room assignments) between RMS and other campus systems (SunGard Banner, BEST card access,
and Advocate conduct case management system).
- Acted as the departmental webmaster for the Housing & Residence Life web site.
- Generated both routine and ad hoc reports using Crystal Reports that provided insight into various aspects of Housing & Residence Life operations.
- Served as the primary liaison with central IT and other campus units for the implementation of new housing related technology or for the resolution of any technology related problems.
- Migrated RMS Web/Application, RMS Database & WebTools servers from outdated Windows Server 2003 virtual machines to new virtual machines running Windows Server 2008 R2.
- Transferred existing RMS databases from a SQL Server 2000 environment to a new SQL Server 2008 R2 installation.
- Coordinated efforts with Residential Management Systems to perform a major upgrade of the RMS software from version 5.3.006 to the latest version 5.3.009.
- Administered multiple Housing & Residence Life servers including: RMS Web/Application server, RMS Database server, Document Imaging server, Webtools server, and Joomla CMS server.
- Served as the departmental liaison with central IT for the implementation of new housing related technology and for the resolution of any technology related problems that arise.
- Ensured the operation of data interfaces between RMS and other campus systems (Banner, BEST card access, & Advocate).
Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, TN
2004 – 2011
- Performed installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of library-wide equipment (i.e. Dell Optiplexes & Latitudes, Apple iMacs, HP LaserJets, Epson scanners, etc.).
- Aided in the installation and ongoing administration of multiple library servers including: Windows file server, Apache web server, SmartShield Resource Manager, ILLiad, LibData and others.
- Created and maintained master Windows XP / 7 images (using Symantec Ghost) and OS X 10.6 images (using DeployStudio) for deployment to library staff and lab computers.
- Selected, trained, managed, and evaluated 15 Student Technology Assistants per semester in order to ensure effective technology help desk coverage for all hours of building operation.
- Installed GoPrint GS4 print management server & 11 print kiosks to reduce waste, curb costs and provide detailed statistics associated with computer lab printing.
- Implemented Snow Leopard Server with DeployStudio and Apple Remote Desktop to facilitate the deployment and administration of building-wide Macintosh computers.
- Installed and configured Labstats 4 server & clients to collect login and application usage statistics for lab computers.
- Assisted Systems Librarian with the implementation and ongoing operation of the Walker Library’s web presence including: library web server, LibData, and ContentDM.
- Aided in the administrative support of additional library servers including: Windows file server, internal Linux mail server, SmartShield Smart Control Resource Manager, ILLiad, and others.
- Created and maintained master Windows XP / 7 images (using Symantec Ghost) and OS X 10.6 images (using DeployStudio) for deployment to staff and lab computers.
- Trained and managed a help desk of approximately 15 technology assistants to ensure effective technology support coverage for all hours of building operation.
- Identified areas where technology could improve the efficiency or effectiveness of library operations; researched, recommended and implemented requisite solutions.
- Collaborated with other University departments in the development, deployment and ongoing support for computer-related projects.
- Communicated with vendors to order replacement parts or to coordinate repairs of defective equipment on contract maintenance.
- Served as a Systems’ department liaison for various internal committees (i.e. Web Committee, Technology Committee, and Revisioning Committee) to provide necessary technology expertise.
Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, TN
2000 – 2004
- Led technology assistants in replacing and/or reimaging 300+ desktops during computer lab equipment upgrade cycles.
- Served as the night-shift supervisor of fellow technology assistants in the absence of the Systems Specialist.
- Diagnosed and repaired hardware/software failures on building-wide equipment (i.e. Dell Optiplexes, HP LaserJets, Epson scanners, etc.).
- Installed, configured, and updated various software applications (e.g. MS Office, Command Antivirus, DriveShield, etc.) for staff and lab computers.
- Provided front-end user support to library patrons and staff with technical questions or equipment/software difficulties.
- Tracked building-wide equipment in order to maintain complete and up-to-date inventory records.